NORTHBROOK, Ill., April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Astellas Pharma US, Inc. ("Astellas"), a U.S. subsidiary of Tokyo-based Astellas Pharma Inc. (Tokyo: 4503), and Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network, a not-for-profit organ procurement organization that coordinates organ and tissue donation and provides public education on donation in Illinois and northwest Indiana, have collaborated to raise awareness of the need for more organ donors in the state of Illinois. As part of the efforts, Governor Pat Quinn signed a proclamation declaring today, April 19, Organ Donation Awareness Day in the state of Illinois. Astellas and Gift of Hope are encouraging Illinois residents to learn more about organ donation, and register their decision to donate.
"We're proud to partner with Astellas in building a community of support around organ donation awareness and the need for more donors," said David Bosch , Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs at Gift of Hope. "The decision to be an organ donor gives hope to many people awaiting a second chance."
While organ transplantation is a remarkable story in the history of medicine, the need for organs is vastly greater than the number available for transplantation. Currently there are more than 117,000 people in the U.S. awaiting an organ transplant – including more than 5,000 people in Illinois.1 Each year, more than 28,000 Americans receive a donated organ2, but sadly, more than 6,500 people die each year waiting for an organ.1
Today's proclamation underscores Astellas' ongoing commitment to the state of Illinois
SOURCE Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Astellas and Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network Join Forces to Raise Awareness of Need for More Organ Donors in Chicago
2. Astellas Pharma Inc.: New Hire Reinforces Global Compliance Structure
3. Astellas and Ambit to End Collaboration for Joint Development and Commercialization of FLT3 Kinase Inhibitors
4. PGA TOUR Celebrates Official Launch of the Astellas Presents Executive Womens Day Program
5. Astellas to Drive PGA TOURs New Womens Initiative
6. Astellas Highlights Progress to Advance Care of Patients with Genitourinary Cancers at ASCO-GU Annual Meeting
7. Ambit and Astellas Announce Presentation of Results from Phase 2 ACE Study of Quizartinib in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology
8. Astellas Announces Acceptance of U.S. New Drug Application for Tacrolimus Extended Release Capsules
9. Personal Connections Drive Employee Participation For Changing Tomorrow Day at Astellas
10. Astellas to Close Urogenix, North Carolina-based Urology Research Facility
11. Astellas and Fujita Health University Discover Neuronal Maturation Deficits in Patients Suffering from Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder