WASHINGTON, April 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
- The Ford Fusion Hybrid team has achieved more than 1,000 miles -- over 47 continuous hours -- on a single tank of gas, raising funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Passing the 1,000 mile mark at 9:08 a.m. this morning, the team will continue as their unmodified, regular production Fusion Hybrid has nearly one-third of a tank of fuel remaining
- The most fuel-efficient, mid-sized sedan in America -- the Fusion Hybrid -- driven by a team of Ford hybrid engineers, a fuel efficiency expert and a NASCAR star, achieved more than 80 miles per gallon using Eco-Driving techniques
At 9:08 a.m. this morning, the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid team hit the 1,000-mile mark on a single tank of gas, and is continuing its ultimate fuel-efficiency challenge with nearly one-third of a tank of fuel remaining.
The 1,000-mile mark was achieved with the Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge team leader and NASCAR driver, Carl Edwards, behind the wheel. Other team members include world-record breaking hypermiler Wayne Gerdes and several Ford hybrid engineers.
The 1,000-Mile Challenge started at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, April 25, from Mount Vernon, Va., and is expected to end on Tuesday, April 28 in Washington, D.C.
A regular production version of the Fusion Hybrid -- the most fuel efficient mid-sized sedan in America -- delivered over 80 miles per gallon over the course of 47 hours of continuous driving. The team will continue to drive until the fuel tank is depleted.
The vehicle is being put to the test to demonstrate Ford's commitment to be the best, or amongst the best, in fuel economy in every vehicle segment in which it competes and to raise funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the process.
As part of the event, the team is conducting clinics for media and customers in the Fusion Hybrid, providing interviews and vehicle demonstrations on how simple techniques can make a significant difference to real world fuel economy numbers. The team also is uploading regular images and video of the challenge to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, and www.media.ford.com.
Mileage-maximizing techniques that the Ford team used and recommend to consumers include:
- Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure;
- Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking;
- Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions;
- Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear;
- Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine;
- Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag;
- Applying the "Pulse and Glide" technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;
- Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle's kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed; and
- Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum
Click here for more Eco-Driving tips
Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company's wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.
Related medicine news :1
. Thousands of Americans Sign Living Wills on Thursday April 162
. Thousands of Health Care Providers Enhance Online Profiles3
. Video: Celebrities and Thousands of Walkers Unite at Nations Capitol to Raise Awareness About Seizures and Epilepsy4
. Tens of Thousands of Back Pain Patients Overtreated in Six Health Plans, According to HealthCore Study5
. Thousands of Dentists Nationwide Mark First Annual Sedation Dentistry Safety Week6
. Main U.S. Toxics Law Failing to Ensure Safety of Thousands of Chemicals7
. According to A Better Tomorrow Wells Fargos Credit Card Processing Division is Withholding Tens of Thousands of Dollars Owed to a Southern California-Based Behavioral Healthcare Treatment Center8
. Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. and MTV Games Make a Donation to Starlight and Bring Rock Band(R) to Thousands of Seriously Ill Children9
. Pictures Say a Thousand Words... No American Should Lack Access to Affordable, Comprehensive Health Services10
. Red Cross Caring for People in Eight States as Winter Storm Leaves Hundreds of Thousands Without Power11
. Thousands Look Better, Feel Better, and Have More Energy Because of NutriSum