PARIS, December 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- The Pharmabiotic Research Institute (PRI) brings together industrial and academic players in the area of probiotics research. It is a unique scientific and regulatory association in Europe.
- The PRI asserts that, beyond their traditional food processing applications, probiotics can also be active pharmacological constituents with preventive and curative potential. This is why PRI uses the terminology "Pharmabiotics", relating to "LBP - Live Biotherapeutic Products" rather than "Probiotics".
- In 2012, the PRI will publish its first works, underway since 2009 through various working groups relating to the adaptation of the general directives provided by the CTD format (Common Technical Document - used for the qualification of drugs) to the specificities of Pharmabiotics.
- The PRI initiative echoes the ever increasing number of scientific publications (more than 100 per month on average), of which the proof of concept attests to a scientific consensus emerging around the therapeutic potential of probiotics.
THE PRI: a French association which has become a single European structure, a federation of more than 40 members throughout Europe
- The PRI is a federation of groups with both academic and industrial competences, working for the development of probiotics, from the fundamental research to the industrial production of the end product.
- Created at the end of 2009 in Aurillac, it is chaired by Professor Michel Dapoigny, gastroenterologist at the University Hospital of Clermont-Ferrand.
- The PRI today counts 42 federated members coming from the pharmaceutical industry, the university world and research. Nevertheless, the number of members continues to increase. As a whole, the members, whose competences include research in microbiology and/or pharmacological development, are involved in research, development, production and the marketing of probiotics.
|SOURCE The Pharmabiotic Research Institute (PRI)|
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved