For more information, please visit the event's website at www.cureiscoming.org or call 617-441-7200.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig 's disease) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that leads to paralysis, due to the death of motor neurons in the spinal cord and brain. There is no known cure for the disease. About 5,000 people in the US are diagnosed with ALS each year; the incidence is similar to multiple sclerosis. However, with no effective treatment, the average patient survives only 2-5 years following diagnosis. There are about 30,000 people in the US diagnosed with ALS today. The worldwide population of ALS patients is estimated at 450,000.
About ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI)
The mission of the ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI) is to develop effective therapeutics that slow or stop amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig 's disease) as soon as possible for patients today. Focused on meeting this urgent unmet medical need, ALS TDI executes a robust target discovery program, while simultaneously operating the world's largest efforts to preclinically validate potential therapeutics; including a pipeline of dozens of small molecules, protein biologics, gene therapies and cell-based constructs. The world's first nonprofit biotech institute, ALS TDI has developed an industrial-scale platform, employs 30 professional scientists and evaluates dozens of potential therapeutics each year. Built by and for patients, the Cambridge, Massachusetts<
SOURCE ALS Therapy Development Institute
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. BioStorage Technologies Partners with Susan G. Komen for the Cure Tissue Bank at IU Simon Cancer Center to Raise Money and Awareness for Breast Cancer Research
2. EveryDayMatters.com Aims to Raise Awareness and Coordinate Care Between Mental and Physical Health
3. European Multiple Sclerosis Market in Dire Need of Increased Disease Awareness and Treatment Options, Cautions Frost & Sullivan
4. Charlie Wilson Teams Up With Janssen Biotech to Launch Making Awareness a Priority (M.A.P.)
5. Preeclampsia Awareness Month Marked By Promise Walks in 36 Cities
6. Shire Facebook Page Increases Awareness of Hereditary Angioedema (HAE) in Support of First HAE Awareness Day May 16th
7. Covenant Security Services and the Department of Homeland Security Partner to Provide Nationwide Training on Active Shooter Awareness and Response
8. July is not just about BBQ's; the Arthritis National Research Foundation honors Juvenile Arthritis Awareness Month
9. Little known pregnancy disease, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, receives awareness with a $20,000 donation from the H.E.R. Foundation to begin Genome Research at UCLA
10. Awareness of Omega-3 Benefits Soars
11. GUARDaHEART Foundation Hosts Love Your Heart Day Event in Celebration of Heart Disease Awareness Month