Virtual March Connects 'IBD Day on the Hill' Advocates in Washington, D.C. with Online Supporters
PHILADELPHIA, May 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Today the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) and Shire plc (LSE: SHP, Nasdaq: SHPGY) joined forces to launch the first-ever virtual "Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) March on the Hill." The free program calls on Facebook(R) users to help raise awareness of IBD and spurs funds for additional research of the disease.
To participate in the virtual "IBD March on the Hill," Facebook users can visit www.ibdmarchonthehill.com and, with the click of a mouse, take a virtual "step" around the National Mall in Washington, DC. Users will be asked to choose a unique shoe to place on the track and will see how their step has impacted the total number of steps taken to date. Shire will donate $1 per footstep to CCFA for research, education and support initiatives for each of the first 30,000 steps taken.
In addition to raising funds for IBD research, the virtual march gives those affected by IBD the opportunity to support the more than 75 patient advocates who are in Washington, DC today for CCFA's seventh National Advocacy Conference "IBD Day on the Hill." The advocates will meet with legislators to gain support for the IBD Research and Awareness Act.
"We are thrilled to extend our advocacy on the Hill to the online community," said Gary Sinderbrand, the chairman of CCFA's National Board of Trustees. "We have made it a point to provide a specific resource for the IBD patient community on Facebook through our new CCFA Facebook Page (http://apps.facebook.com
SOURCE Shire plc
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Pro Hockey Player Fernando Pisani Looks to Shoot and Score Against Ulcerative Colitis
2. Shire and TAP Agree to Co-promote LIALDA(TM) (mesalamine), the First Oral Once-Daily Mesalamine For Patients With Active, Mild to Moderate Ulcerative Colitis
3. Bayer CropScience Donates $1.1 Million to United Fresh Research & Education Foundation to Create the Center for Global Produce Sustainability
4. Elsevier and Brain Mapping Foundation Co-Host 6th Annual World Congress of IBMISPS on Brain Mapping and Image Guided Therapy
5. Michael J. Fox Foundation Commits Up To $5 Million for Pre-Clinical Drug Development Under Industry-Exclusive Therapeutics Development Initiative
6. Cumberland Emerging Technologies and UT Research Foundation Sign License Agreement for New Technology
7. Mirixa Corporation and the APhA Foundation Finalize Partnership
8. Fraunhofer USA Center for Molecular Biotechnology Receives Gates Foundation Grant for Avian Influenza Vaccine Development
9. Peter Zoller and Ignacio Cirac, awarded by the BBVA Foundation
10. Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Response to FDA Clearance of Gerons Clinical Trial
11. Omeros Awarded Grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation to Evaluate Novel Parkinsons Disease Target