DUBLIN, July 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Not for release, publication or distribution (in whole or in part) in, into or from any jurisdiction where to do so would constitute a violation of the relevant laws of such jurisdiction.
Shire plc ("Shire" or the "Company") (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG) notes the Bloomberg article this afternoon. Shire confirms it has held a meeting with representatives of AbbVie.
This statement is being made by Shire without the prior agreement or approval of AbbVie.
A further update will be made when appropriate. Shareholders are strongly advised to take no action in relation to AbbVie's proposal. There can be no certainty that any firm offer will be made nor as to the terms on which any firm offer might be made.
A copy of this announcement will be available at http://www.shire.com. The content of the website referred to in this announcement is not incorporated into and does not form part of this announcement.
Notes to editors
Shire enables people with life-altering conditions to lead better lives.
Our strategy is to focus on developing and marketing innovative specialty medicines to meet significant unmet patient needs.
We focus on providing treatments in Neuroscience, Rare Diseases, Gastrointestinal, and Internal Medicine and we are developing treatments for symptomatic conditions treated by specialist physicians in other targeted therapeutic areas, such as Ophthalmology.
FTI Consulting (Media Adviser to the Company)
Andrew Lorenz (London'/>"/>
SOURCE Shire plc
Copyright©2014 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Shire Launches Online Educational Resource Center for US Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
2. Hart-Scott-Rodino Waiting Period Expires for Shires Acquisition of ViroPharma
3. Shire plc: Strong Third Quarter and Increased Non GAAP Earnings Expectations
4. Shire to Present at the Goldman Sachs 34th Annual Global Healthcare Conference
5. Shire Launches Report that Quantifies the Health, Psycho-social and Economic Impact of Rare Diseases
6. Shire to Acquire SARcode Bioscience, Expands Presence in Ophthalmology
7. Shire Regenerative Medicine Initiates Phase 3 Study of ABH001 for Patients with Epidermolysis Bullosa
8. Shire Reaches Agreement in Principle With U.S. Government
9. Shire and Boston Childrens Hospital Enter Into Broad Research Collaboration
10. Dr. Jeff Jonas Appointed President of Shire Regenerative Medicine Business and Joins Shire Leadership Team
11. Shire Changes its NASDAQ Ticker Symbol to SHPG