SACRAMENTO, Calif., Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Although school just started for the 499,275 California students enrolled in grade 12, as projected by the California Department of Education, graduation isn't that far off and questions of "what's next" loom in the background. Leaving high school may translate into enrolling in college or considering employment options or exploring new cities and cultures. To make informed decisions, students first must understand their options and, second, possess the ability to weigh and exercise those options for successful outcomes. For students with disabilities, these options aren't always clear, which is where California's Independent Living Centers (ILCs) play a vital role.
According to Community Resources for Independent Living (CRIL) Community Organizer Dolores Tejada, "Apprising transition-age youth (TAY) with disabilities about available resources and opportunities makes it easier for them, not only to be more informed, but to enhance their skills and make independent decisions about their futures."
Career and college readiness is a key focus of two pieces of legislation, one federal – S. 1356 Workforce Investment Act of 2013 and one state – Assembly Bill 1041, which propose to expand transitional services for high school students with disabilities. California's public high schools share the same focus; however, they face numerous challenges, including classroom size, curriculum and standard requirements, technology advancements and budget constraints, while ensuring they offer special education services as mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
"California's public schools are overwhelmed by the number of issues and needs put in front of them," said State Independent Living Council Executive Director Liz Pazdra
SOURCE California State Independent Living Council (SILC)
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related biology technology :
1. Synthetic Biologics Appoints Jeffrey J. Kraws as Independent Chairman
2. China Integrated Energy Inc. Completes Independent Investigation
3. No on Prop. 37: French Rat Study Author Made Reporters Sign Confidentiality Agreements Prohibiting them from Consulting Independent Scientific Experts
4. BioNeutral Group Receives Positive Testing Results From A Global Independent Laboratory For Its Ygiene Sterilant Against Anthrax Spores
5. New Organization Plans to Use Independent Peer Review to Put Millions of Hours Back into Research
6. Independent Marketing Automation Software Expert gives Positive review on MindMatrix's platform, AMP
7. BCA Represents Independent Blood Centers at Phacilitate Cell & Gene Therapy Forum
8. New from Cole-Parmer: Ismatec Reglo Independent Channel Control Peristaltic Pump
9. CellerateRX® Added to List of Preferred Products for Golden Living Healthcare Network
10. Systems Alliance Launches Redesigned Website for The Living Legacy Foundation of Maryland
11. Harvards Wyss Institute creates living human gut-on-a-chip